Date: Summer 2019
Classification: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports to: Controller
Department: Finance and Operations
The Accounting Specialist will fill a key role in the department, responsible for processing most of the day to day transactions of the organization, which include our affordable home building efforts, our ReStore retail operations, as well as our advocacy program. Additional challenges will include general ledger account reconciliations and other duties as assigned. This individual needs the confidence to deal with a broad spectrum of staff, clients and vendors on a variety of issues.
Essential Duties of the Position:
- Working with staff from all departments, process and manage accounts payable. Ensure that supplier invoices have been coded and authorized for payment, prepare checks for management signature, and distribute checks on a timely basis to our suppliers. Assist staff with questions on payment status with key vendors. Reconcile our accounts with vendors as required.
- Prepare bank account reconciliations on a monthly basis, and prepare any necessary journal entries for management review and approval.
- Working closely with our Fund Raising department, prepare cash receipts deposits, including credit card donations.
- Prepare the necessary accounting entries for management review.
- Assist in preparing schedules for the annual financial audit.
- Maintain Petty Cash for the Oakland office.
- Apply for credit with new vendors.
- Prepare annual 1099 report and maintain W-9 files on vendors.
- Provide weekly updates to the cash position.
- Maintain related accounting files.
- Prepare and enter journal entries that record the ReStore monthly sales activity and use tax obligations.
- Provide backup assistance in answering incoming calls.
- Direct clients/visitors to the appropriate staff member.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BA or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years accounting/bookkeeping and administrative experience
- Familiarity and experience with double-entry bookkeeping necessary
- Excellent data entry skills and good numerical skills necessary; 10-key by touch helpful
- Mastery in Microsoft Excel
- Experience with computerized accounting system MAS 90 preferred
- Experience with and commitment to a mission-based nonprofit helpful
- HEBSV mission driven values, community oriented, and comfortable working in HEBSV’s environment
- Detail oriented with a demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Experience in working with a non-profit and/or construction organization
- Ability to communicate and work well with a number of varying constituencies
Responsibility and Decision-Making Authority:
Must be able to work independently (as well as on a team) and prioritize in a multi-tasked, fast paced environment.
Working Environment/Physical Requirements:
Onsite office work with occasional light lifting Repetitive motion associated with computer and office work.
Note: This document describes typical duties and responsibilities and is not intended to limit management from assigning other work as desired
Interested candidates must submit both a cover letter and resume to Lucinda Lee O’Sullivan, Director of HR & Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org.