Date: April 2022
Department: Housing Development
Reports to: Construction Manager
Classification: Full-time, Non-Exempt
The Foreman is responsible for “hands-on” residential construction. He/she is responsible for assisting in the overall activities on construction sites of Habitat East Bay/Silicon Valley. In addition, he/she is also responsible for assisting construction staff in training unskilled volunteers.
Essential Functions of Position:
- As directed by construction manager, assist in leading on-site workdays with skilled and unskilled volunteers and future homeowners.
- Assist with and lead all aspects of hands-on construction tasks including, but not limited to, demolition, site prep, framing, insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and landscaping. May work on new construction or renovation projects.
- Provide on-the-job training. A variety of people volunteer with Habitat; many must be taught the use of basic tool and construction procedures.
- Exhibit patience and commitment to the goals and methods of the Habitat way of building.
- May manage smaller sites independently as a foreperson.
- Maintain site safety by adhering to Habitat construction safety policies, modeling best practices and guidelines, volunteer education and site monitoring.
- Assist with all aspects of hands-on construction tasks including, but not limited to, demolition, site prep, framing, insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and landscaping.
- Typically serve Tuesday – Saturday on the build site.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Hands-on knowledge and experience with light construction from foundation to finish
- Journey-level carpentry experience in wood frame or residential construction
- Plumbing, electrical, and HVAC knowledge helpful
- Ability to work as a team member
- Working knowledge of Universal Building Code and construction regulations
- Ability to read plans and blueprints
- Ability to communicate in English
Responsibility and Decision-Making Authority:
- Lead and supervise AmeriCorps crew leaders and volunteer crew with hands-on construction training.
Working Environment/Physical Requirements:
Position requires hands-on construction, this involves lifting of up to 50 lbs, climbing, and working at various heights.
Note: This document describes typical duties and responsibilities and is not intended to limit management from assigning other work as desired.
Interested candidates must submit both a cover letter and resume to Lucinda Lee O’Sullivan, Director of HR & Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org.