Department: Home Preservation
Reports to: Construction Manager
Classification: Full Time Non-exempt
The Home Preservation Inspector performs skilled, technical inspection work in helping to secure the health and safety of low income homeowners by identifying critical health and safety needs, and by ensuring compliance with City codes and ordinances, State of California Building Codes, and regional and national technical standards for workmanship and safety governing repair and rehabilitation occupied homes within the service area.
Work requires the ability to make sound, well informed recommendations and decisions; the enforcement of regulations, laws and codes with firmness, tact and impartiality; and effective communication with homeowners and contractors regarding compliance issues, frequently of a sensitive nature.
Essential Functions of Position:
• Provide skilled inspection services, including preparation of scope of work writeups, estimated project budgets, and project closeout to ensure compliance with local building and safety codes.
• Create home inspection reports for all projects meeting program criteria.
• Ensure that all needed building permits are obtained.
• Generate and track subcontracts, issue change orders, code and submit invoices.
• Monitor contractors for satisfactory completion of work and for compliance with local and State health, safety, and building codes and relevant laws and requirements.
• Coordinate rehabilitation and accessibility services with other local programs available specializing in other related areas such as lead paint and hazardous materials abatement.
• Respond to all communication from parties in a timely manner to address issues and complete the work.
• Provide consistent updates on rehab projects and loan draw inspections.
• Create and provide regular reports to the management team.
• Attend regularly scheduled meetings.
• Complete a Quality Control Inspection of residential homes under renovation and reconstruction.
• Ensure that renovations conform to local, state and federal building code requirements
• Identify recurring issues in the field and assist construction project managers in training and educating staff on client-specific regulations, policies and procedures.
• Reinspect homes that fail initial inspection
• Clearly and accurately document specific information pertaining to each residence under construction and load into Salesforce Database
• Prepare bid packages for subcontracts
• Issue and track bidding process for subcontracts as necessary
• Provide information to Finance for entering subcontracts into accounting software and track approval process
• Track all change orders in conjunction with Superintendent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Commitment to the HEBSV mission to build and preserve low-cost housing
• Strong attention to detail
• Must have strong prior home inspection and estimating experience
• Understanding of the importance of quality and consistent customer service
• Advanced and thorough knowledge of residential home systems and components
• Knowledge of construction methods, and local, state and federal building codes.
• Five-plus years relevant experience in the residential construction field
• Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and have a process improvement-oriented mindset
• Superior customer service skills, attention to detail, personal integrity, and commitment to excellence
• Physical ability to climb ladders, walk roofs, navigate attics, and enter crawlspaces needed
• Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license and insurance
• Comfortable working with diverse populations from a variety of ethnic, socio-economic and living situations
• Salesforce or other database experience a plus, but training will be provided
• Class B General Contractor
• Inspector Certification
• Lead based paint certified
• Mold certified
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel
• Primary work will be performed in the field and at the Oakland or Milpitas office.
Note: This document describes typical duties and responsibilities and is not intended to limit management from assigning other work as desired.
Interested candidates must submit both a cover letter and resume to Lucinda Lee O’Sullivan, Director of HR & Operations at email@example.com.