Date: Summer 2022
Department: Client Services
Reports to: Direct of Client Services
Classification: Non-Exempt, Full Time
Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley is a HUD-approved Housing Counseling Agency that provides housing counseling services for clients in Alameda, Contra Costa and Santa Clara Counties. The role of the housing counselor is to provide one-on-one counseling for first time homebuyers, homeowners, renters and homeless individuals and conduct financial education and first-time homebuyer workshops throughout our service area. One-on-one counseling will occur virtually and via telephone at this time. However, when allowed One-on-one counseling will occur in our Oakland office as well, and may also include other locations, based on community partnerships. This positon will primarily serve Alameda and Contra Costa Counties with services in Santa Clara County provided by a housing counselor in our Milpitas office.
Essential Functions of Position:
Meet with clients to assess obstacles faced by the client and develop an individualized plan to assist them in achieving their specific housing and financial goals.
Develop group financial education curriculum as needed and conduct and coordinate the scheduling and delivery of group education on various subjects, including financial management, budgeting, credit, and pre-purchase and post-purchase workshops.
Maintain working knowledge of local lending and homebuyer assistance programs.
Represent Habitat’s homeownership and counseling programs at community events.
Manage workload calendar and client appointments to help meet the goals of the organization and serve the client effectively.
Maintain follow-up with clients until completion of counseling or termination.
Adhere to all guidelines related to the confidentiality of client records and information per the requirements of the HUD Housing Counseling Handbook and the organization’s HUD-approved Work Plan.
Serve as liaison between the counseling program and the organization’s HUD representative, including serving as the point person for HUD audits.
Responsible for providing reports for funding purposes, organizational reporting, and quarterly reports to HUD.
Enter data into the organization’s client management system accurately and timely.
Supervise and provide training for Intake Specialist and staff as applicable.
Serve as lead counselor for special programs and partnerships
- Must have HUD Housing Counseling Certification or be able to obtain certification within first 90 days of employment.
- Minimum two years’ experience working in a housing counseling position.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent experience working in a professional role.
- Knowledge of mortgage lending programs, underwriting guidelines and down payment assistance programs to be able to counsel clients on purchasing a home.
- Good analytical skills to be able to assess client needs and make sound recommendations.
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to provide information clearly to a diverse population to increase client understanding of the home buying process and financial education topics.
- Bilingual preferred
- Must have own transportation
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Commitment to the Habitat mission
- Demonstrated ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to self-manage stress
- Organized, methodical, detail-oriented, and analytical
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Responsibility and Decision-Making Authority:
Must be able to work independently as well as on a team.
Work Environment/ Physical Requirements:
- This position requires travel to our three county service areas. Must attend early and evening meetings. Some weekend work required. There are some physical demands to the job, which include but not limited to equipment installation, set-up for meetings and events, and the transport of office supplies and equipment.
Interested candidates must submit both a cover letter and resume to Lucinda Lee O’Sullivan, Director of HR & Operations at email@example.com.