Habitat East Bay/Silicon Valley helps low-income homeowners restore and maintain their homes through its Home Repair Program. All repairs impact the safety of residents and/or the preservation of the home.
Qualified and selected homeowners receive a variety of home repair services including but not limited to exterior painting, landscaping, ramps, exterior carpentry, roofing, window and door replacements. Homeowners participate in their repairs by contributing sweat equity volunteer hours if physically able. All home repairs are led by trained crew leaders and completed by volunteers.
We are currently accepting applications for two repair programs:
Habitat EB/SV’s Painting Program is one more way we are serving residents of East San Jose. By partnering with neighborhood organizations and community volunteers, we provide qualifying families painting of the exterior of their home. Selected applicants provide a $50 contribution to support Habitat’s mission and complete sweat equity on their homes, when physically able.
Painting Program Benefits:
• Allows families to live in safe, well-maintained homes
• Preserved homeownership for low-income residents and protects their investment
• Restores neighborhood pride and homeowner dignity
• Improves the “curb appeal” of under-resourced neighborhoods
Thanks to the generous support of The Home Depot Foundation, Habitat is able to offer up to $15,000 worth of repairs to veteran households through our Veterans Build- Home Repair Program. Veterans Build seeks to assist, engage, mobilize and educate military members and veterans in Habitat’s work. We invite the military and veteran communities to join us in building home, communities, and hope through our Veterans Build Home Repair Program. Qualifying households must be the full-time permanent residence of a U.S. veteran in Alameda, Contra Costa, or Santa Clara Counties. Safety related repairs are our first priority. Other repairs to be assessed once safety and health-related repairs are addressed. Habitat staff will complete a home inspection to determine scope of work. If you live in a veteran household, please download a Veterans Build Repairs application, and return it to Habitat with all supporting documentation as soon as possible.
If you do not qualify for either of the these programs, please email us at HomeRepair@HabitatEBSV.org with your name, address, and phone number, and we will contact you once we are accepting applications for new programs.
Resources are limited, and therefore not all qualified applicants will be selected. Whenever possible, Habitat will connect homeowners to other home repair programs resources to help meet their home maintenance needs.
Homeowners interested in Habitat's Home Repair program must meet these initial requirements for consideration:
|Maximum Income Depends on the Number of People in Your Household|
|1 Person||2 People||3 People||4 People||5 People||6 People||7 People||8 People|
|Contra Costa County||$45,350||$54,100||$60,850||$67,600||$73,050||$78,450||$83,850||$89,250|
|Santa Clara County||$49,950||$57,050||$64,200||$71,300||$77,050||$82,750||$88,450||$99,950|
The home repair program is a partnership that relies on the homeowner’s involvement and participation. If selected for home repairs, homeowners must be willing to partner with HEBSV in a variety of ways, including:
• Signing a Home Repair Partnership Agreement – homeowners pledge to partner with HEBSV and perform the expected commitments of the program
• Completing between 8 and 40 sweat equity hours depending on the scope of the project – the homeowner, a household member or friend of the homeowner must be on site and willing to work in various capacities throughout the duration of the home repairs, as well as perform approved non-construction activities
Habitat is committed to providing housing solutions that are affordable to low-income households. To build program sustainability and a spirit of partnership, all Habitat programs feature modest repayment requirements.
Repairs are repaid according to their value:
• Repairs valued less than $1,000 are provided with a $50 payment required; and
• Repairs valued in excess of $1,000 will be repaid through a deferred, no-payment, no-interest 15-30 year loan, depending on the expected lifespan of the repairs provided. The loan will be for the full value of the repairs, and will be evidenced by a promissory note and secured by a deed of trust that is recorded on the property owner’s title. Habitat will be paid in full upon sale or transfer of the property within the loan term. If the home is not sold or transferred during the loan term, the loan is fully forgiven.
Please see details in the program application for full outline of repayment agreements.
Home has many meanings and represents something different for each of us.... [Read More]
Giving back during the holiday season just got easier. Thanks to... [Read More]
During the holiday season, we often reflect on Habitat’s mission and what... [Read More]
Habitat East Bay/Silicon Valley is proud to serve Veterans who have... [Read More]
We are proud to have once again been awarded the 4-Star rating by Charity... [Read More]
This summer, our renovation team has been busy fixing up homes across the... [Read More]
Today, 1.6. Billion people live in inadequate shelter around the world.... [Read More]