While serving in this crisis is difficult, it’s also so very necessary. We continue building because our services are essential to our community during this extraordinary time – while safeguarding the health of our volunteers, staff, and the people we serve.
Learn how our programs and services have responded to the renewed shelter-in-place order in effect through January 4th, and how you can continue to be a part of our work:
VOLUNTEER WITH US
Volunteer opportunities are still available, but limited. The safety of both volunteers and staff is our utmost concern, so please be sure to review our health and safety protocol before spending a day with us!
- Our constructions sites are open, and we continue to accept volunteers to help us put the final touches on our Emergency Interim Housing communities for our unhoused neighbors in San Jose. This work has been deemed essential, and our volunteers are a part of that essential workforce.
- Likewise, our three ReStores are an essential business, and they are open for shopping, donation, and volunteerism. Click here to learn more about shopping hours and donation procedures.
- Our Playhouse Program is currently closed to volunteers and team building events until the current shelter-in-place order expires. However, we have some great socially distanced corporate volunteer opportunities in the meantime. From virtual “lunch and learns” to workplace giving, and more, corporate teams can work with our staff to create a safe and fulfilling experience that is tailored to your group’s needs. And, we’re prepared and eager to host your socially-distant build event when the current shelter order expires. Contact us today to learn more!
And in this time, while not everyone can lift a hammer, everyone can help us build by giving. Your generosity has made it possible for us to serve more people than ever, even in this crisis, and we depend our community to keep us building forward.
Our Homeownership Program is continuing to operate under the same protocol that has been in effect since March 2020:
- Applications for our Esperanza Place Development are still open. To apply, please read our program guidelines, attend a Homeowner Orientation, and complete a pre-application.
- Pre-applications can be done online or mailed to our Oakland office: Habitat for Humanity, 2619 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94612.
- Both our Milpitas and Oakland offices remain closed. If you have questions about your application, please email HomeownerInfo@HabitatEBSV.org.
We are also still serving our neighbors through our Home Preservation Program and continuing to adhere to the following COVID safety protocols:
- Minimizing in-person client interactions
- Using personal protective equipment
- Observing social distancing for any necessary interactions.
- We are still taking applications online. However, we are experiencing some delays due to construction material shortages and the availability of contractors.
- Both our Milpitas and Oakland offices remain closed. If you have questions about your application, please email HomeRepair@HabitatEBSV.org.
The pandemic has resulted in a financial fallout that makes our Housing and Financial Counseling services more essential than ever. To meet this increased need, we are:
- Increasing our free, online webinars that target specific financial concerns such as managing debt, managing finances in times of crisis, and more.
- Providing online, one-on-one options to meet with a HUD-certified Housing Counselor to get all your personal finance questions answered.
- Breaking up our 8-hour, in-person HUD-approved First-Time Homebuyer Class into four sessions of 2-hour long virtual segments.
- Launching our new Financial Education Center– a free, online portal for personalized financial guidance – so anyone, anywhere can access critical tools and resources to achieve financial wellness.
As this year draws to a close, we recognize that it has been a challenge unlike any we’ve seen. We are a community in uncertainty, in transition, in upheaval, in need, and in mourning. But Habitat keeps coming back to that word – community. Your support shows us that we are a community of incredible strength, resilience, ingenuity, industriousness, and generosity. See how in our year-end video!
Thank you for standing with Habitat. Until we can do so shoulder to shoulder again, be well, and take care of each other.
To support us as we support our community, please consider donating to our COVID-19 Resiliency Fund.