Construction Crew Leader, Home Preservation
AmeriCorps National Position
Positions Available: 1
11 month commitment starting in September 3, 2019, Tuesday - Saturday / 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Occasional evenings and weekends
Reports to: Site Superintendent, Home Preservation
Location: This position is based in one of our three county service areas in the California Bay Area (Alameda, Contra Costa and Santa Clara Counties)
Perform construction tasks on Habitat home preservation projects with volunteers and Habitat partner families. Provide leadership, training and supervision to unskilled volunteers. Educate and build positive relationships with volunteers and supporters to further HEBSV’s mission.
Program Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet volunteers and partner families as they arrive; help them sign in and create a nametag, give “Habitat 101” presentation and safety talk at the start of each workday.
- Provide training, supervision, and coaching to volunteers as they complete their scheduled tasks.
- Assist the site superintendents in day-to-day construction activities. Duties may include:
- All aspects of home building and repair
- Trouble-shooting mechanical problems.
- Being responsible for tool and site organization.
- Picking up materials/lumber/supplies for construction site.
- Organization and maintenance of Habitat warehouses and workshops
- Construction site clean-up and maintenance.
- Assisting skilled tradespeople.
- Orient new volunteers to HEBSV by answering questions on HEBSV history, policy, and programs.
- Assist with maintenance issues at other HEBSV properties.
- Help to create a work environment that is cheerful, productive, and inclusive of all volunteers.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience desirable
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Experience working as a member of a team
- Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity and AmeriCorps
- Ability and willingness to complete the reporting and timesheet requirements of the AmeriCorps program in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner
- Work well independently and self-motivated
- Have a valid drivers' license and clean driving record
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is an AmeriCorps National Direct position. To learn more about AmeriCorps, please visit www.americorps.gov
Habitat AmeriCorps commit to 11 months of full-time service and receive the following benefits:
- Living allowance of up to $1000
- A Segal AmeriCorps Education Award ($6,095)
- Student loan forbearance or deferment while in service for qualified loans
- Optional Healthcare benefits while in service
- Childcare assistance while in service
- Worker's Compensation
- Due to the high cost of living in the Bay Area, Habitat EBSV provides a minimum $1000 monthly rental stipend to supplement living costs. Members who have formerly served with a Habitat affiliate may be eligible for an additional rental and/or educational stipend.
To apply: CLICK HERE
Please note that acceptance into the program is subject to official position approval, a background check prior to start and applicant approval from Habitat for Humanity International.
Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley brings people together to build homes, communities and hope. We revitalize neighborhoods, build affordable and sustainable housing solutions, and empower families through successful homeownership. Since 1986, we have partnered with volunteers, the community, and qualified families with limited incomes to strengthen communities in Alameda, Contra Costa, and Santa Clara Counties.