Date: Spring 2022
Department: Housing Development
Reports to: Director of Housing Development
Classification: Full-time, Non-Exempt
- The Construction Manager (CM) is responsible for overseeing activities at one or more Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley (HEBSV) construction sites. The CM will manage both contract and staff Assistant Construction Manager(s) (ACM), AmeriCorps, and support their management of site staff, contractors, and volunteers.
- The CM will support the Director of Housing Development (DHD) and Project Managers (PMs) with annual project budgets, project schedules, planning the allocation of staff resources, estimating monthly cash flow projections, weekly updates of project progress, materials procurement, subcontractor management, and long-range planning.
Essential Functions of Position:
- Responsible for the overall site management of assigned construction projects, with the goal of bringing in projects on time, under budget, and in line with HEBSV’s high level of quality construction and home performance.
- Manage the work processes of each construction site - i.e., help Assistant Construction Manager with technical and personnel questions; ensure flow of tools, materials, and volunteers; provide quality control support.
- With ACM, PMs, and DHD, prepare and maintain work schedules for construction sites. Several sites may be under construction simultaneously.
- Maintain Greenpoint-Rated and other performance checklists and ensure proper inspections and documentation
- Write and process all Requests for Information (RFI) to architects, engineers, and other designers during construction phase of each project
- Lead weekly superintendent meeting for each site
- With ACM, PMs, and DHD, determine which trades will be subcontracted for each project
- Prepare scopes of work for all subcontractors
- Manage bid process for all subcontracts on project
- With Finance Department, ensure subcontractor compliance with prevailing wage and other labor regulations as needed
- With ACM and PM, negotiate and approve change orders.
- The CM shall be responsible for all material procurement for his/her projects, including but not limited to:
- Work with ACM to establish accurate takeoff lists
- Solicit and qualify bids for materials as deemed appropriate.
- Issue purchase order requests for large orders as necessary
- Initiate Purchase Orders and track deliveries as necessary
Evaluate, Measure, Report
- Review Committed Cost Report for his/her projects to show anticipated costs.
- The CM and PM shall jointly prepare project schedules and budgets.
- Draft monthly cash flow projections for project expenditures.
- Provide weekly progress reports to the PM and DHD that highlight issues and matters that require immediate and long-term attention. Reports will note completion timelines and milestone dates of achievement.
- Together with the DHD, provide leadership in project planning for current projects and actively participate in planning future projects.
- Review and assess preliminary project plans for cost and feasibility and provide value engineering options
- Assist the DHD in planning the strategic goals and objectives of the organization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Commitment to the HEBSV mission to build affordable ownership housing for low-income households.
- Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management or Architecture or equivalent desired
- Experience and ability in managing multiple projects.
- Skilled at supervising Assistant Construction Manager(s) and AmeriCorps.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Project highly desired
- Familiarity with Timberline/Sage, Procore, or other construction software highly desired
- Minimum of five years of residential building experience desired.
- One or more years as a construction lead person, superintendent or assistant superintendent.
- Ability to read and interpret plans.
- Familiarity with the Uniform Building Code.
- Ability to devise and teach - with patience - simple construction methods.
- Have a temperament that is suitable for the environment of a volunteer-driven, non-profit organization and the ability to create a work environment that is positive, productive and inclusive.
- Knowledge of sustainable/high-performance building practices highly desired.
Responsibility and Decision-Making Authority:
- Manage Assistant Construction Manager and supervise their management of site staff including HEBSV employees, interns (e.g., AmeriCorps), trade-specific sub-contractors, consultants, and volunteers in the performance of their duties and responsibilities.
- Performs annual performance evaluations of site staff and other evaluations of site staff as needed.
- Help prepare and manage on-site events, i.e., groundbreakings, dedications, and blitz-builds designed for substantial volunteer involvement and engagement.
Working Environment/Minimum Physical Requirements:
- This position requires travel between offices and to various construction sites and involves both indoor as well as outdoor supervision/management.
- Occasional hands-on training requiring site-work and some heavy lifting and/or climbing.
Note: This document describes typical duties and responsibilities and is not intended to limit management from assigning other work as desired
Interested candidates must submit both a cover letter and resume to Lucinda Lee O’Sullivan, Director of HR & Operations at email@example.com.