A junk car that’s just taking up valuable space in the driveway.
A boat sitting still in the harbor when its captain moves inland.
A motorcycle – once a good idea -- that now collects dust in the garage.
No matter the vehicle or the reason you need to get rid of it, Habitat for Humanity’s Cars for Homes program makes donating a car, boat, or motorcycle to charity an easy and impactful experience.
Ready to donate a car that doesn’t run or donate an RV that drove your family crazy more than you drove it?
First, Are Car Donations Worth It?
Congrats! By choosing to donate your vehicle to Cars for Homes, you’ve already covered the first thing all donors should consider – What is the best charity to donate a car to? Ok, we admit we’re biased, and there are a lot of great organizations that accept car donations, but here is why you can feel good about giving your old vehicle to Habitat:
- Direct impact. As Habitat for Humanity’s national vehicle donation program, Cars for Homes is able to ensure revenue from donations directly benefits Habitat. In fact, since 2004, Cars for Homes has accepted more than 111,000 donated vehicles and distributed more than $35.9M to Habitat for Humanity affiliates across the country.
- Built on trust. For more than 40 years, Habitat for Humanity has been known as a trusted 501(c)(3) organization. Locally, Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley is a proud 4-star charity on Charity Navigator. So, you can feel confident that you’ll be guided through the donation process with care (keep reading to see how) and provided all the proper paperwork to keep your tax-deductible donation compliant with the IRS.
- Benefits come easy. Deciding to donate your car rather than selling it is not an easy choice to make. To make sure you experience the benefits of donating your car as soon as possible, we’ve made the donation process so easy that you don’t even have to leave your couch.
How to Donate a Car to Habitat for Humanity:
- What kinds of vehicles can be donated?
First, you have to make sure we can accept your vehicle donation. We accept almost all vehicles including cars, trucks, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, boats, snowmobiles, farm equipment, and construction equipment.
- What information is needed to donate a vehicle?
Then, you submit your donation information online through our donation wizard or call 1-877-277-4344. We ask that you provide the following information about your vehicle:
• Body Type
• Color (optional)
• Is it drivable?
• Date last driven
• VIN (optional)
• The certificate of title
- What do you do with a car when it’s ready to be donated? How do you donate a car that doesn’t run?
Once you submit your information online, you will be contacted by a member of the Cars for Homes team at Habitat for Humanity within 1-3 business days to schedule a pick-up for your car. So, even if your car doesn’t run or you don’t want to go through the process of taking it to a dealership, you can still make an impact!
What to Expect After You Donate Your Vehicle
We have a reputable agent, Advanced Remarketing Services, who handles the title transfer, towing, and reporting of all vehicle donations. This means that when you sign the title of your vehicle directly to them, you are legally transferring ownership of your vehicle to Habitat for Humanity. Once your title is received and your vehicle is picked up, you are no longer responsible for the vehicle.
After your vehicle donation is picked up, the vehicle will be sold on behalf of Habitat through a national network of auctions and direct buyers. All the auctions and direct buyers used by Habitat are licensed, insured, and bonded in the states where they operate, so you know your car will be in good hands. If it cannot be sold at a wholesale auction, the car is transported to an auto salvage yard where all reusable parts are removed, and the vehicle can be recycled.
After the vehicle has been sold, you will receive an acknowledgment letter providing your vehicle sale information. Keep this information handy if you hope to claim a tax deduction!
The Catch is...
There is no catch. Cars for Homes has perfected the car donation process because we know the power of your gift – no matter the size. Donating a car is not only good for the environment and beneficial to the donor, but it furthers our work building a world where everyone has a decent place to live.